AcupunctureAcupuncture can provide fertility boosting benefits:
- Increased blood flow to the uterus and improved uterine wall thickness.
- Increased endorphin production that in turn affects the release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone involved in regulating reproduction.
- Lower stress hormones which can impact negatively on blood flow to the reproductive system.
- Impact on plasma levels of fertility hormones: follicle stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, oestradiol and progesterone.
- Normalization of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis
- Improved sperm morphology and count.
When may acupuncture be useful ?
- Unexplained infertility
- Stress and anxiety/promote well-being.
- Endometriosis pain
- As part of the management of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- As a complement to IVF, ICSI, IUI and ovulation induction.
Medical Massage for FertilityHelps to:
- Promote natural fertility
- Improve blood flow to pelvis
- Aid lymphatic drainage
- Improve function by restoring visceral, joint and soft tissue mobility.
- Reduce stress, aid relaxation
Indications for use of massage for fertility:
- Adhesions/scarring affecting reproductive organs and adjacent structures
- Chronic pelvic pain
Massage for fertility works well with acupuncture treatment. It can also be used as a treatment in its own right.
TreatmentThe number of treatments will depend on the condition being treated. it is generally recommended to have treatment over the course of at least two menstrual cycles.
Treatment may also include: relaxation techniques, implementing lifestyle changes, fertility awareness/temperature charting, TDP Mineral Therapy Lamp and electroacupuncture.
TDP Mineral Therapy Lamp for infra-red energy - this is usually used on the abdomen, improving micro-circulation and blood flow. It may be particularly appropriate for women who have a TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) diagnosis of "Blood Stasis" or "Cold Uterus".
Electroacupuncture - a mild current is passed through acupuncture needles. This can enhance the stimulatory effect that acupuncture has on nerve endings in skin and muscle.
Acupuncture can complement IVF. It is beneficial to have treatment throughout the IVF process. It can also be safely used alongside ovulation induction.